- When a person consumes more than one standard drink in an hour, the liver does not speed up metabolism to process the excessive amount of alcohol in the bloodstream.
- The unmetabolized alcohol just continues to circulate in the bloodstream creating a buildup of alcohol in the system which causes intoxication.
- There is nothing one can do to speed up the process of the liver breaking down alcohol.
- Drinking black coffee, exercising, getting some fresh air, or taking a cold shower can make a person a bit more alert, but will not affect intoxication levels or sober the person up more quickly.
- Only time can influence this process and sober a person up.
- This is an important concept to remember.
- All of the efforts people often take to address intoxication after alcohol has been consumed will have no effect on a person’s intoxication level.
- Prevention is the best approach.
- Later in this course, we will share ways that you can help your customers more effectively manage their intoxication levels.